FUN & EASY SUMMER CRAFT: DIY CRAFT STICK FISH!
Stay Creative with Color in Kind: Craft-Stick Fishy!
Summer is here and the kids are home! Our goal at Color In Kind is to bring you fun, easy and educational arts and crafts all summer long to help make life a little easier this summer! We know how hard it is to come up with different ideas every day to keep the kids busy, happy and learning – so we hope you enjoy our summer crafts series!
Now, let’s get creative and have some fun while making this adorable and simple craft-stick fish! It is super easy and enjoyable for the kids to make.
Children age 3 and up are perfect for the craft. As always, we recommend that all crafts be supervised and be done with an adult. It only makes it that much better for your little one to have some bonding time!
The best part of this craft is that all you need are some basic supplies that you likely already have at home!
Here’s what you need:
- 3 Craft Sticks
- Liquid Glue ( Elmer’s or Tacky Glue)
- Sharpie or Marker
- Various Shades of Felt Fabric or Construction Paper
- Googly Eye
- Pom-Poms (or any fun accessory to decorate with!)
If you’re looking to buy these supplies, here are some of our favorite shops to buy them from and their links! We personally love the arts and crafts store Michael's and Joanne’s but also turn to Amazon to shop as well when we can’t make it to the store!
Aleen’s Tacky Glue:
Here are step by step instructions to make your craft stick fish:
- First, take 3 craft sticks and glue them together in a triangle shape. TIP: This is a great learning moment to talk about shapes with your little one and go over the primary ones!
- Take your felt fabric of construction paper and trace the shape of a triangle with your sharpie or marker. Try to make it the same size as your craft stick triangle!
- Using your scissors, cut the triangle and glue it down to the back of your craft stick triangle.
- Now, you’re going to repeat the same thing but make your fish’s mouth, fins and tail! Sketch out a heart shaped lip, heart shaped fin and two (2) oval shaped fins. Feel free to use different colors of felt or construction paper to make your fish extra colorful.
- Once you’re done, cut each one out and turn your fish around. On the back side – you want to glue the tail and fins on the side. Then flip it around and place the lips on the front side.
- Now that everything is glued together, it’s time to make your fish sparkle! Add the googly eye to the felt or paper on the front and glue on some pom-poms to the tail.
- Voila! Your craft-stick fish is all done and ready to be displayed!
We hope you had fun making this arts and craft activity with us and took the time to brush up on your shapes with your little one! They can learn all about the triangle, oval, circle and heart shape with this activity!
If you would like to see a quick video tutorial on how to make this arts and craft with your kids, follow us on Instagram and visit our YouTube page and subscribe!
We love fun and easy arts and crafts and DIY activities you can do with your kids! We hope that you will create these fun crafts for kids with your little ones and enjoy being creative.
If you’re social, we would love to see your creations! Tag us on Instagram @colorinkind or with hashtag #staycreativewithcolorinkind for a chance to be featured on our Instagram.